Monday, March 30, 2015

Love

     Around this time last year, I was inspired to write poetry. I had read and reread Love Poems From God, by Daniel Ladinsky, and it truly opened my heart to a greater understanding of Love. The book, a collection of poems from Eastern and Western tradition is a treasure trove. I love it! In fact, one of my favorite Love poets is an Islamic saint. Her name is St. Rabia.
Unknown artist of Rabia Basri

     Her expression of love for God is so raw; it is fearless and unadulterated.   All her poetry is such, and there is no doubt in my mind that she was in touch with God.

"O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell, and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise. But if I worship You for Your Own sake, grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.” 

     Isn't that a glorious notion? You can read more about the muslim saint and sufi mystic, St. Rabia here. If I could come to the place in my Catholic faith where I could say, "Oh God, let me love you for love's sake only", I think I'd be a saint myself.
     I have to admit though, that there's a bit of angst interlaced with my faith.  And I don't mean a reverent angst.  I guess if I were to give an honest assessment of this angst, I would have to agree with St. John's explanation, that perhaps I haven't been "fully formed in love." 

     The Message translation of St. John in 1 John 4:18 puts it like this: "God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we're free of worry on Judgment Day—our standing in the world is identical with Christ’s. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love."
    On my journey of faith, I have observed that one hallmark of a mature faith is that of a fearless love---and a  sincere respect for another's faiths.  Mother Teresa possessed that.  She lived the Gospel, but never feared encouraging Hindus to become better Hindus.  I think a debate of religious beliefs would have hindered her work, her mission.  Her mission was that of Love. It was active Love!   St. Pope John Paul II kissed the Qur'an, which created some controversy, but again,  I believe it was an act of love, fearless love. 
     It's interesting that most world religions have more in common that not, but what I have ascertained is this. Most religions teach Love---a compassion for others is to be practiced.  And contrary to what the media presents and others tell you, the theme of Love in action is the core teaching of the Qur'an.
     According to Karen Armstrong, one of the foremost scholars on religious studies has expressed on many occasions that Religious people too often don't want to be compassionate, they want to be right. And what is compassion, but Love. She reasons that the Prophet Muhammad, like Christ, wanted a society that "respected the poor and vulnerable."  
     Adherents were to pray, fast and give alms.  Humans were "to behave with justice, equity and compassion."   Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, the three world monotheistic religions all profess Love as a central theme.  Now I didn't say Love is practiced by its adherents but it is a central teaching in the three traditions.
      Also, let me clarify what I mean by love.  When I speak of  Love, I don't mean the fuzzy feelings that might accompany Love.  I'm implying here that love is an action---an action that might involve sacrifice, an action that might be painful.  For love is never a feeling---feelings are fickle.  
     Charity, or compassion for neighbor---that is Love. If the religion doesn't teach this, then the religion is synthetic, and it has no transforming power.  The saints knew this.  Here is a famous mystic...a much celebrated Catholic saint.  St. Francis of Assisi puts it like this in his beautiful poem, Because He Gave Birth.
                                                
Image by Jen Wojtowicz

So
precious
 is a person's faith in God,
so precious; 
never should we harm 
that.
Because He gave birth 
to all religions. 
     
     I believe that Love can transform anyone. If one knows Love, one knows God. In my tradition, Christ is God. And God is Love. The great mystics and saints from my Catholic tradition got to know God.  But how do we get to know God?  We get to know God in the silence.  Those who would want to seek God, would need to learn to enjoy the silence.  Scripture says God speaks to us in "a still small voice." 
    
     It is in the silence that I learned to express myself.  Jacob Needleman, in his forward of The Gospel of Thomas, by Jean-Yves Leloup says this, and I think it is a true and eloquent statement: "The proper level of the mind is to function at two levels, the level of silence and the level of expression...[and] it is expression that is secondary---that is truth in the form of words and formulations come only out of silence...".  In silence, I got in touch with my fear.
     One might think that hate is the opposite of Love, but I believe it's fear. When we fear, we aren't free to love. Fear stifles, fear inhibits unity; it inhibits dialog, and it inhibits transformation.  In my tradition, it goes against one of the most important commandments that Jesus taught---to love neighbor.  How can we love in fear?
     I want to share so many poems with you from Love Poems, but I would rather you hold the book in your hands. Perhaps your local library carries it. I just know you'll love it.
Image found on  Etsy

 It's filled with splendid poems from those whose "minds were nourished by the silence of the fertile void of pure Being...".  Here's one from St. Teresa of Avila, doctor of the Church.  It's called  Not Yet Tickled.  It might  seem irreverent, but I think she was like St. Rabia, completely in love with God---having no fear in her expressions, and especially her poetry.
Not Yet Tickled
Not Yet Tickled
How did those priests ever get so serious
and preach all that 
gloom.
I don't think God tickled them yet.
Beloved----hurry.

    Please allow me, before closing, to share some of my very own poems---written while listening to the the still quiet voice of Love.  This next poem was truly inspired by some of St. Teresa of Avila's poems and another marvelous Persian poet called, Hafiz, who wrote I Heard God Laughing, also translated by the talented, Daniel Ladinsky.  Again, it may seem a bit irreverent, but when I was writing, I felt completely one with God. Perhaps that is why Christ could say, "Fear not."

I heard God chuckle.
Oh in church I should be so reverent and pious---
until God pulls one of his stunts.
I was shuffling along, hands folded, down the Aisle,
pew by pew, I sailed.  Waiting my turn to receive the
body and blood of my Lord---
When he flung a little old lady in front of me---
with her wig on backwards.
I wanted to jerk a knot in His neck.
I heard God chuckle.
God's like that---
you know.

He believed.
A blind man once asked me
if God exists?
I said, "Why yes."
He asked, "how do you know?"
I let him touch my breast
while my newborn
suckled.

Baptized
I went in search
of a proper 
baptism, 
After three tries
I finally got one.
My father died
in his kid's arms.

     I was inspired to write this next poem when I was meditating on St. Paul's letters on Love, written to the Corinthians in chapter 13.  I have adapted it to my Catholic practices.  And it's titled: 
If I have not Love
If I pray my rosary daily and have not love, my prayers are in vain.

If I receive the Eucharist every Sunday, but have not love, I am an empty vessel.


If I mortify my flesh, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and have not love, I am just a wounded bag of bones.


If I gaze on images of Saints , Angels and the Holy Mother of God, but have not love, I am a sightless soul.

If I read the scriptures with great understanding, as to teach, but have not love, I am a talking head.

If I make the sign of the cross and say "Bless Us Oh Lord..." at every meal, but have not love, I am a just a full stomach.


If I listen to defenders of the faith morning and night and feel a certainty of my belief, and have not love, I have only felt right, and that is my reward.  



Theotokos


     And Lastly, I want to thank you kindly for letting me share my Poems. I hope you enjoyed them. Be inspired and seek love in the silence of the mind.  Here's a final couple of poems---my favorites and one of my firsts:


Love

Love poked her head in my heart
And I eye-balled her
Next time she pokes her head in,
I think I'll wink at her.

In Us
God Loved me into being 
And in me, God is.
God loved you into being 
And in you, God is.
I asked God, "Are you really in us?
God said, I AM!



No comments:

Post a Comment