Monday, March 16, 2015

Lucille Ball, Aliens and Our Lady of Guadalupe.

     My husband loves the T.V.  And although I prefer to read, I do enjoy catching glimpses of some of his shows.   Of course what American doesn't enjoy T.V.?  Admit it. Americans have had a love affair with the tube for what seems like forever.  Can you imagine life without it?        My mother can.  She's a very young 71, but certainly remembers the days of Radio.  Before the tube, it was all about the radio. Yes, the exciting world of radio stirred many imaginations in the early 1930's and 40's.
     Families sat around the radio much like we sit in front of the T.V.  In fact, I was doing some Internet searches and happened upon one of my favorite actresses---Lucille Ball.  Who doesn't love Lucy?  Go ahead and google My Favorite Husband and check out the radio program that launched that wonderful and zany sitcom I Love Lucy.
     Lucille Ball, a.k.a. Lucy, yes that adorable, bright eyed redhead even---not surprisingly, captured the imagination of my little girl, Beth.  Our downtown library housed about 45 videos of I Love Lucy, and she watched every tape.  Each videotape had at least four episodes per video.  So for four years in the mid 1990's, Beth was chock-full-a-Lucy. 
     She was so enamored with Lucy and Ricky, that she became grieved and actually shed tears of sorrow when later in her teens, she learned that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were married in real life and then divorced.  But oh what a glorious and wholesome sitcom it was.
     Another interesting fact regarding radio programs is an incident that occurred in 1938.  This is funny, well kind of.  A radio drama was misinterpreted as real life, and it caused public hysteria. Yes, real people like you and me truly believed we were being invaded by creatures from outer space.  According to reports, the public reaction looked like something out of an old godzilla movie.  You can read about the incident here: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/welles-scares-nation.  
     Speaking of history. One of the shows my husband loves to watch comes on the history channel.  It's a series called Ancient Aliens. The channel runs and reruns this series quite frequently, so it must be very popular with the public.  I have to admit, it is fun to watch.  But what fascinates me the most is the program's presentation and claim that humans couldn't have possibly produced such monumental structures.       
     Some examples include the Nazca lines in Peru, Egyptian pyramids, and other massive architectural formations from around the globe. They present a common, and not so scholarly belief that aliens from outer space must have built or at least contributed to the ancient structures.  Check it out here: http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens.  Like I said, it's fun to watch.  You'll learn some real geographical history; however, the facts about the subject matter may seem a bit far fetched and fantastical.  
      One show in particular really caught my interest this past autumn. I rather enjoyed this one episode because it showcased one of my favorite Catholic relics.  It's a piece of cloth, or garment, called a tilma, and shines with an image of The Blessed Mother of Jesus.  The piece is housed in a basilica in Mexico, and is called Our Lady of Guadalupe.  
It's a beautiful piece of religious art, and rightly so, as it's artist is God.
     I know---that seems far fetched and  fantastical, but I believe it just as strongly as Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, from Ancient Aliens believes in aliens.  
     Here's an aside:  I love Giorgio Tsoukalos and his zany personality.  He is such a lively character and fun to watch just for sheer entertainment.  Although I pray he comes to know Jesus through his research.       
     Back to the Tilma.  I do hope my blog piques your interest in this piece of art.  Do some research today; you'll be amazed. This treasure is so magnificent and mysterious that even the History Channel decided to present it on Ancient Aliens.  Too phenomenal to have been done by man.  
     Consider this. The piece has over a dozen captivating mysteries surrounding it.  One of the most fascinating to me is the microscopic image in the eyelids.  And more discoveries are being revealed all the time.  Consider also some practical applications God could have intended.  Christianity replaced the Aztec religion where millions of innocent lives were sacrificed to the gods. Here's a site to get you started: http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/science-sees-what-mary-saw-from-juan-diegos-tilma.html and another cool blog to feed your spirit: http://embracingyourgreatness.org/tag/our-lady-of-guadalupe/

No comments:

Post a Comment