Sunday, March 8, 2015

     What's all this hype about blogging? What is blogging anyway? Would I enjoy blogging? These were questions I had asked myself after reading many interesting blogs and then feeling inspired to jump on board.
     This is my first blog---a blog about blogging. So here we go. Personally, I enjoy expressing myself in writing, so I'm sure I'll enjoy blogging. I'm learning as I go, and hopefully my blog will inspire you to learn to blog too.  I will have a lot to learn, so here goes.
     To answer the questions I began with--- let's define blogging. A quick look at Wikipedia says that the word "blog" comes from the the words "web" and "log." I love wikipedia by the way. It's always a good place to begin gathering information, and for now, it's free. You might want to help support this massive online encyclopedia.
     Now what? Just log into the web and start writing? Well, not exactly; however, it's not that complex since we already do this on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter etc.... But remember, blogging is a bit different. It's more creative in my opinion, and it's a place to share, hopefully, valuable and/or interesting information publicly.
     The first thing I did was--- you guessed it! Google it. And let me tell ya, there are many tutorials out there on blogging. Try it. But here's the first thing I learned about blogging. Ya gotta have something to write about. At first it seems a bit difficult, but it's not really.                      Everyone has a hobby, even if it's just sitting and thinking. You could write a blog on the importance of taking time to just sit and think, and you wouldn't have to go far to find resources.  Ancient philosophers have already written quite a bit on the subject.
I have decided that I am passionate about two things. I like a lot of things, but I'm passionate about only a couple of things.

God, in the Roman Catholic tradition,
and photography--- traditional and digital. It's an interesting notion too---since for me, both have to do with light. So that is what I am going to be regularly writing about, or rather blogging about. But for now, lets continue learning about the world of blogging.
     The second thing I learned when researching blogging is to have a site to blog on. Easy, so easy. This one is free, like many other great things Google has to offer.     You've probably already got a Google account, Google drive, Google docs, Gmail (email), Google+ etc.... And if you don't want to blog here, just Google the other million sites that host bloggers. And what's really exciting is that you can make a lot of money blogging.
     Now moving on to the next step---creating a pen name. I guess I could keep my real name, but that's no fun. Google blog site is great at helping! They guide you through the entire process. And again, if you have a facebook, you can have a blog site.  With some practice, we should get good at blogging.
     Think of your blog site as your very own magazine, or newsletter, or public journal.... Yes, I googled "blog titles" too. The title portion of Google blogging is self explanatory, but always feel free to use the wonderful world of Youtube, which by the way, also belongs to--- yes--- you guessed it--- Google. You won't be disappointed in the magnitude of blogging tutorials on Youtube.  Hey, here's an aside---I read a headline that asked if Google was dumbing us down? Probably, but that's an article for someone else.
     Moving right along. I chose SaltyLight as a pen name. It seemed fitting for the topics I am going to write about. Christians are called to be, metaphorically speaking, salt and light, so it's kind of a play on those words. I also enjoy photography as Lightwriter Photography if you are interested in my work.
    A quick look at Wikipedia, and we can learn the etymology of words. I've always been entertained by words. In fact, "The word 'photography' comes from the greek, literally translated as "writing with light" or "drawing with light."  So there ya have it. My very first blog. Until next time, happy writing, I mean web logging, I mean blogging.

1 comment:

  1. I think I know you. Are you that woman down there at Mikee's whose boobs kept hittin her in the face while she was clogging?

    Oh Oh - you meant - Blogging, Sorry bout that - guess you aint her.

    ReplyDelete