Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Of Sin and Grace

     Lent is well on its way to being half over.  I have practiced everything I've been called to practice during lent---prayer, fasting and alms giving.  What I've come to realize though is this---I need to be practicing these things daily for the rest of my life!  Well, that's a no brainer if you are a follower of Christ.
    Nevertheless, I have continued trying even harder during this season of lent. And folks, let me tell you, this gal feels so much more saintly since I've observed Lent. Not!  I know that sounded a little adolescent, but I'm trying to convey a truth here. What I really want to share is the revelation that I'm feeling down right wretched.  I can't live up to the calling.  I'm falling short.  I suck at Lent.  
     And I'm crying out with St. Paul in his letter to the Romans beginning in chapter 7, "who on God's green earth is going to rescue me?" Read it here in this new translation, The Voice.  By the way, I love Bible Gateway. This site host over 100 translations of  Scripture.  
     This whole concept of sin and grace has seized me this Lent.  I know this culture doesn't like the word "sin."  We like words like "disorder" or "illness" or "disease,"  But I like the word "sin." I see "sin" as brokenness. "Sin" says we are flawed. Here's why I like the all encompassing concept of sin.  Sin is the problem, but God is the solution. Our creator knows "sin."  That's phenomenal!  Because when "disease" is the problem, "science" is the solution.  And we can't deny that science will forever fall short.  That sounds pessimistic doesn't it?  Well, I'm a realist, and from my years of observation, "science" ain't never been able to change the human heart!  
      Don't get me wrong, I don't deny illness.  And those of us precious souls who suffer, I have compassion.  I thank God for his gifts of science.  But again, science isn't going to fix mankind. Even our Pope, our beautiful leader recognizes it.
      Pope Francis!  Oh Pope Francis!  Everybody seems to like him. Well, maybe not everybody, but this gal does. Ya know, I was thinking that maybe Pope Francis is full of joy because he has accepted God's gift of grace.
 Consider his requests to us, "pray for me," and "I am a sinner."  Check this out, please check it out! Whatever your faith...if you just want an intellectual experience, check it out. Did I say check it out?  You won't be disappointed.  In fact, you'll be changed a little. This is one of Fr. Robert Barron's best videos.Fr. Robert Barron on Pope Francis.  It is truly a must see.
      I'm going to close this blog with another one of my serious ponderings.  I thought, "ya know...  Jesus gathered twelve apostles.  He lost one to 'sin.' So roughly one out of twelve people at the Vatican, church, government... the world--- is going to be evil, right?  That's 1/12th."  "Wrong," said a still small voice. "It's one out of twelve people who are going to reject my grace and never ask for forgiveness and never receive the gift...and stop trying to follow me." 
     That's it.  We keep trying, I'm not sure who said it, but it sounds real good, "The saints are the sinners who keep trying." So let's never stop praying, never stop asking for the 70x7 forgiveness God offers, and never stop listening and receiving.  Why and how did Judas miss that?  As for Lent, I'll just keep practicing, and maybe by day 40, I will have created a habit.
      
     

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and brilliant blogging. Keep writing as if only one person will read it. This is awesome. God will water it, and we know it will grow for Him, and you.

    ReplyDelete